So its time to once again tell the Lazyweb what I think is needed or (better yet) what I want in a new web development framework that lasts for 10 years. Here goes:
- I want all the data to be JSON formatted and REST-accessible. The data on the database should be stored as JSON data and accessible via REST. The appserver API should be REST-based, accept JSON-formatted parameters and return JSON-formatted results. The templating system should accept JSON-formatted data for rendering the view and make REST JSON-formatted calls to the appserver.
If this isnt clear enough, let me refer some analog components that are written in other languages and what is already available in JS:
- for the appserver I dont have the right analog. Of course that it must support JSGI. But *the* most important thing: it can not and must not allow the generation of HTML and the return of HTML to the browser/client! All methods/functions should only accept parameters and return results in JSONified format. Maybe NitroJS could be *it*. If it threw away the sucky template format. Completely. No templates on the serverside. No serverside HTML generation. Pure HTML is the new template standard (see below).
- URL routing should use the object hierarchy on the appserver as default. Explicit URL routing (static or using regexp) would have to be done explicitly.
- for the presentation layer I want pure HTML+JS. The browser should be the only component responsible for rendering templates. The clientside part of the framework should make all calls to the server using REST/AJAX and providing JSON-formatted parameters. No GET or POST parameters. It should only accept JSON-formatted results. No HTML. Standard HTML is the only templating system needed. Page elements (DIV, SPAN, etc) should have an “id” as an identifier for serverside databinding. If a page has a tag/field with “id=xpto” then that tag/field should be filled with the contents of the “id” key returned from the server in a JSON string. A good starting point would be PURE, but without using “class” as the databinding identifier (“id” should be the standard).
- I want the appserver to have features that Zope has had for years: I want acquisition (aka prototype-based programming, aka JS object-orientedness). I want a through-the-web management interface. I want ZClasses. I want automatic form generation for classes/objects and an automatic management (CRUD) interface for objects.
So, how’s that? It’s Xmas anyway, so I can ask for whatever I want. Gimme, gimme… Or I can start working on it… Who’s with me? I can be the Main Bitcher, Overall Architect and Project Manager.